Creating a Comfortable Walk-In
Written by Lee Wyatt (last updated February 14, 2022)
There are several ways that you can go about creating a comfortable walk in. The first you can hire a contractor to come out and build an addition onto your home, which may cost several thousand dollars. You could also use an existing closet, and simply expand it a little more. This option, while it may work quite well, can also be quite expensive. The least expensive, and easiest, solution is to use an existing, small bedroom, and convert it to a walk-in closet.
There are some benefits to using this method, as well as some draw backs. First of all, you will need to actually have an extra bedroom that you can use. If you have children, this may mean that you need to wait till they move out so that you can use theirs. However, the major benefit for this is that once they have moved out, and you have made the change, the children can't move back in—you simply won't have the space! Here's what you need to do to convert a small bedroom into a comfortable walk in.
- Draw a plan. As always when you do a home improvement project, you should begin by drawing up a plan. This plan should be drawn as much to scale as you possibly can make it. This way you can play around and decide on the final elements without having to incur the costs of trying different styles. Arrange the floor plan to your liking, but be sure that you allow enough space for everyone who will be using the closet.
- Decide on the style. Once you have decided on the overall plan, take a little time to decide on the specific style. What this means is are you going to have custom made built in cabinets, perhaps like they show in the movie Princess Diaries 2, or will you use some other style?
- Decide on your materials. While it may be nice to have everything in your walk-in closet made from cedar, oak, or some other type of wood, it can actually get pretty expensive. Take some time to decide and price out the materials needed to make your walk-in closet. Use your plan that you drew earlier to help you determine the proper amount, and give you a good estimate of the cost for materials.
- Decide who will do the work. Once you have decided on a plan, style, and the materials, you need to decide who will do the work. While it is often initially cheaper to do the work yourself, it can be quite cost effective to have a professional do the work for you. Look at all the pros and cons of having a professional do it, and doing the work for yourself before you make your decision.
- Do the work. Finally, all you need to do now is get the work done. Once you have finished the work, sit back and enjoy your newly acquired storage space!
Contributor of numerous Tips.Net articles, Lee Wyatt is quickly becoming a regular "Jack of all trades." He is currently an independent contractor specializing in writing and editing. Contact him today for all of your writing and editing needs! Click here to contact. Learn more about Lee...
Grand Piano Care
Grand pianos are a wonderful piece of musical equipment that can add elegance to just about any home. However, if you ...
Changing an Air Filter
One of the easiest and most effective methods for increasing the fuel mileage on your vehicle is to change an air filter. ...
Organic cleaners are becoming more and more popular as time goes by, and one of the reasons for that is the cost. ...
More Home Improvement Tips
Alternatives to Cupboards
Are you tight on space in your home or apartment? It always seems that we have more kitchen gadgets to store than space ...
Planning Garage Shelving
If you are in the need of some storage, then one of the more common areas to add that storage is in the garage. The best ...
Installing Storage Shelving
If you are looking for some additional storage, then you may want to think about installing some shelving. There are ...