Crown molding is a wonderful architectural element that can bring a touch of elegance to any room, even if it doesn't already have some in place. Installing crown molding, is something that any homeowner can do, and is something that can even be used in an apartment to help bring a touch of elegance to your home. All you really need to do is follow these simple guidelines and you will be able to have some beautiful crown molding in your home in no time.
- Hire a professional. If you are thinking of installing crown molding, you should seriously consider hiring a professional contractor. While a professional contractor is going to cost you more money than if you did the work yourself, you are pretty much guaranteed of the results. However, if you don't or can't hire a professional, it is possible to do the work yourself. Just be careful, and double check all your work.
- Get measurements. The first step of installing crown molding is to get some measurements. What you need to do is measure how long each wall is, and be sure to write it down. The best way to do this is through the use of a sketch of your room, for example a rough blue print. Simply write down the measurements next to the corresponding areas on your sketch.
- Get the materials precut. Take your measurements to your local home improvement store. Show them to the clerks there, and they will help you get the proper materials that you need. It is also a good idea to get your materials precut as well. This will help to reduce any frustration, chances of mistakes, and mess at your home. Keep in mind that since most walls will have a 90 degree turn, that where ever you will have two pieces of molding meet, you should have a 45 degree angle cut on them.
- Lay it all out. After purchasing your materials, it is time to take them home and begin getting ready to install the crown molding. The best way to do this is to lay out all the pieces in the same place that you plan on having them installed. This simply means that you lay the piece of crown molding on the floor next to the wall that it will be going to. By doing this you will be able to double check that you have all the measurements correct, and that you have all the pieces that you will need. Double-check that everything will interlock as it is supposed to, and make any corrections as necessary.
- Begin installing. Begin installing your crown molding. Start working on one side of the room, and work your way around in one continuous direction. To install the crown molding, have a friend hold it in place, while you nail it to the wall.
- Finish your work. Once you have finished installing the crown molding, you will need to finish your work. This means that you will need to paint or stain the wood to your desired color and specifications.
More Home Improvement Tips
What look and feel do you want a certain room to have? This depends on the room design, and you can create the perfect ...
If you use candles, tart burners, infused oils, or fresh baked goods to make your home smell good, whether you realize it ...
Are you looking for an easy and inexpensive way to decorate your home? Using stencils on walls or other surfaces in your ...