Have you ever watched one of those television shows where they show a home getting renovated or redecorated and found yourself wishing that you could have a home like that? The single easiest way to do that is to use an interior decorator. While many people may think that finding a decorator is hard, it actually couldn't be easier. In order to find a good decorator, all you need is to follow these simple guidelines.
- Budget. Decorators usually don't come cheap, so this means that you need to have a budget firmly in mind before you begin talking to any. Knowing how much money you can spend will help you keep both your desires and those of the decorator realistic. Take some time to go over all of your finances to figure out how much you can actually afford to pay a decorator or even if you can actually afford one at all.
- Come up with a plan. Prior to finding a decorator, it is helpful to come up with a plan. This means that you should have an idea of what you would like to see your home look like. If at all possible, gather together pictures of other rooms that are similar to what you would like and put together a "portfolio" that you can show to potential decorators. With a plan in hand, you are less likely to be upset with the decorator's results.
- Get reviews. Begin asking around for suggested decorators from friends, family, and co-workers. You never know who may know a good decorator. However, do not simply take it as a matter of faith that someone's cousin George can do a really great job. Double-check with the Better Business Bureau, as well as ask to see some examples of any work that they have done. This way you can actually see the results before you make your final decision.
- Interview prospects. Just as when you go to try and get a job, these decorators will be trying to get a job with you. This means that you need to interview them. Come up with a series of questions that you can ask each of your potential candidates. You can ask them things like: "How long have you been doing this?" "Do you have any examples of previous work?" "Do you have any references?" "How much does an average project cost?" Write down the answers from your interview for later consideration.
- Make a decision. After interviewing your potential candidates, it is time to make a decision. Go over the list of answers and choose the one that you think will best suit your needs, budget, and that you will be able to work well with.
More Home Improvement Tips
There are many misconceptions about home interior decorating, in fact there are almost as many misconceptions as there ...
Just as bamboo can accentuate the windows inside of your home, bamboo window treatments outside are just as stylish. ...
Are you having trouble getting comfortable in your own home? Perhaps the reason for this is that your home simply isn't ...