Whether you call it sheetrock, drywall, or by some other name, wallboard is a material that just about every home in the country uses. Learning how to install wallboard can be a huge help to you when you do your own repairs, or home renovations. While it is a strenuous and time consuming task, this is something that just about anyone can do. All you need to do is to follow these simple guidelines.
- Get measurements. There is an old saying that you should measure twice, and cut once. This saying couldn't be truer than when it comes to installing wallboard. Drywall is often a strong, yet brittle material that can't really handle being cut too many times. Take time to properly measure your room for the dimensions that you will need. Write them down, and then repeat the process again. If the measurements don't match up the second time to what you got the first time, then you need to measure once more. This way you can ensure that you will be using most accurate measurements possible.
- Purchase materials. With your measurements in hand, go to your local home improvement store and pick up what you need. Often these home improvement stores will allow you to get your materials precut to the dimensions that you need at the store. While you are at the store, be sure that you also get a few other things like a utility knife, construction adhesive, wallboard screws and wallboard nails.
- Get materials home. After purchasing your materials, get them home and begin laying everything out. This will help ensure that you have enough materials for your job, while also ensuring that your measurements are correct. If you need to, at this time begin trimming the wallboard so that it is in the proper dimensions for your installation.
- Get help. Keep in mind that wallboard can be extremely heavy. To help prevent you accidentally hurting yourself, or damaging your wallboard, be sure that you have help. You will need help to install the wallboard, as well as help to get the wallboard inside. Without proper care, you can seriously hurt yourself, and damage the material that you are trying to install.
- Begin installing. Start at one corner of the room, and begin installing the wallboard. Start by placing a bead of adhesive along the studs in your wall. Have a friend help you lineup, and place the wallboard against the studs. While your friend is holding the drywall in place, tight against the wall, begin fastening the wallboard to the studs. You can use either nails or screws, but be careful as you do this so that you do not break the wallboard. Continue this process around the room until you have installed all of your wallboard.
More Home Improvement Tips
Over time, even the nicest of cabinets will need a little touch up work. Why spend the time and money to completely ...
A Kitchen island can be one of the most helpful additions that you put into your kitchen. By having a kitchen island you ...
Building a jungle gym can be an easy project as long as you have all your bases covered. Here are some simple guidelines ...