If you are thinking of installing gutter guards around your home, there are basically two different options that you can use. The first option (and probably the most expensive option) is to hire someone to do the work for you. Your second option is to do the work yourself. While this method means that you may need to get a little dirty, it is a task that you can do in a single day if you are fast enough. All you need to do is follow these instructions.
- Tin snips
- Tape measure
- Leaf blower
- Trash bags
- Clean the gutters. Before you can begin installing your some gutter guards you will need to actually clean the gutters. The traditional way that you would use to do this is by hand. Simply put some gloves on, climb the ladder, and begin pulling out all the dirt, debris, leaves, and even toys that you may find there. If there hasn't been any rain or moisture for a while, you can speed this up by using a leaf blower to help you remove the detritus. Properly dispose of all debris in your trash bags.
- Check for leaks. Once you have removed the entire gunk and dirt that you found in your gutter, run some water through the gutters. Do this by simply spraying some water through your hose onto the roof and allow the water to work its way through the gutter system. Make note of nay leaks that you find and repair them as quickly as possible.
- Measure the gutters. When you have either finished repairing any leaks that were found, or having found none, you are ready to begin your next step. Take a tape measure and measure the length of each of your gutters. Do this a minimum of two times to ensure that you receive the correct measurements. Write these measurements down so that you can purchase the correct amount of materials for your gutter guards.
- Choose the gutter guard. Take your measurements to your local home improvement store, and peruse the gutter guards that they have. Choose the one that you will be using, and purchase enough of the material to cover all of your gutters. As a safety measure, you may want to purchase between 15 and 20 percent extra material to deal with any mistakes.
- Begin installing the guard material. Take a look at the manufacturer's direction that came with the gutter guard system that you chose. This will tell you the best possible method that you should use to install that particular system over your gutters. Carefully follow these directions, and test out the works to ensure that there is no damage or problems once you believe that you are finished. If you find any problems then fix them as quickly as possible.
More Home Improvement Tips
Chimney repair doesn't necessarily need to be anything big or drawn out. In fact, often times all it may mean is that ...
Installing a lamppost in your yard can be a great idea for all kinds of reasons. While you can always hire someone to do ...
A rather common problem that faces many homes is that of dry rot. This insidious natural process can easily reduce the ...