Anyone that has a pet dog can tell you just how much their fuzzy friend likes to have a place that they can call their own. One of the easiest ways to do that is by building a doghouse. While many people would think that a doghouse has to go outside, the truth is that it can be placed either indoors or out. It all depends on what you want. Here are a few guidelines that you can use to ensure you are building a doghouse you can be proud of.
- Get the proper plans. There are literally dozens, if not hundreds, of free patterns and plans for dog houses out there. You can find them online, at your local home improvement store, and even at your local library. Take your time and look through several different options before you make your final choice. When you do make your final choice, go ahead and either print or make a copy of the plans.
- Adjust accordingly. Not all doghouse plans are sized for the same type or breed of dog. Generally each of the plans will tell you what size range of dog they are for, so pay close attention. If they are not sized properly for your breed of dog then you will need to make a few adjustments to the measurements until they are.
- Decide on location. Once you have your plans chosen, you need to then decide on where you will be putting it. This isn't all that difficult since you need to first decide whether you have an indoor dog, or one that is more at home outside. If you have an indoor one, select a place that will be out of the way, and which can help to improve the look of your home. Outside dogs and their houses should be placed in the dog run.
- Gather materials. After you have the location chosen out, go ahead and take your plans (which should have measurements on them) to your local home improvement store. Use the measurements and plans as a guide as to what materials you should get. Other than the wood that most people get to help build doghouses you should also look into getting stain, paint, sealant, or even roofing materials depending on whether you are building an indoor or outdoor dog house.
- Begin building. With all the materials in hand, you can finally begin your building. Make sure that you measure everything twice prior to doing any cutting. Additionally you will want to be sure that you don't rush anything, or you can end up making a mistake that will be costly in time and money to repair or replace.
- Clean up. As you are building your doghouse make sure that you keep everything as clean and organized as possible. If you are cleaning up as go along or just keeping things organized, then you will have less work during the cleanup phase.
If you have decided to have your doghouse outside that you will need to take a few extra steps to protect it. For example, you may want to seal the wood to ensure that it doesn't warp and get weathered too badly over time. While you may not need to technically seal the wood of your doghouse if you are going to have it inside, you may still want to paint or stain it. That way it will go good with the rest of your home decor.
More Home Improvement Tips
Just about every child has dreamed of their very own tree house at some point. Help make your child's dream a reality by ...
As I was wandering through a home improvement store the other day, I cam across a product that I had never heard of ...
One of the problems with having central air is that you have to ensure the duct work is covered. When this doesn't ...