Achieving the country cottage look and feel is a dream that many people would love to make a reality. Unfortunately, many people do not know how easy this style of interior decorating actually is. The next time you are in the mood for redecorating your home and would like to try something a little more comfortable, use these guidelines.
- Definition. According to many home decorating purists, there is no such thing as the "country cottage style" of interior decorating. However, if this is the case, then why are so many people starting to use it? Simply put, in country cottage style everything goes. There is really only one rule when it comes to this style, and that is comfort is of the utmost importance.
- Furniture. When choosing furniture to go with your country cottage style, focus on using furniture that has been used. While it is not important to use furniture that has actually been pre-owned, it is important that it has that look—the look of being comfortable and "broken in." Also, you will want to stick to furniture that evokes feelings of being out on the farm or in the country.
- Flooring. In the country cottage style of decorating, your flooring should look a little "worn around the edges." This doesn't mean that you should have threadbare carpeting, but rather flooring that looks like it has been there for ages. A wonderful example of this would be to use distressed wood flooring or the laminate flooring that provides the look of having been lovingly used for years.
- Colors. There are all kinds of cottages that you can use as an example when it comes to coloring. For example, if you are looking for a color scheme that evokes the feeling of an English country cottage, then you will want to use greens, pinks, and similar pastel colors typically used in a floral print. However, if you are looking for a rustic look, then stick to the colors of the forest. These colors would be the reds, greens, browns, and golds that are commonly seen in nature.
- Recycle. Keep in mind that the cottage look usually tries to evoke a feeling of age or wisdom. One of the best ways to do this is through the use of "recycling" old or vintage items. Use classic toys, tools, or frankly anything that has been around for a while—but use the items in new and creative ways. For example, you can use a beautifully weathered chest as a coffee table instead of leaving it in the closet to gather dust.
More Home Improvement Tips
Infused oils are just one aspect of the alternative medicine practice called Aromatherapy. Derived from plants, infused ...
If you use candles, tart burners, infused oils, or fresh baked goods to make your home smell good, whether you realize it ...
Home owners today are striving to find environmentally sound ways to live their lives while minimizing the harm done to ...