Keep Your Home Free from Carbon Monoxide

by Lee Wyatt
(last updated December 2, 2015)

Learning how to keep your home free from carbon monoxide isn't all that difficult, though it does take a few extra steps more than simply keeping your home safe from a fire. While many of the same procedures and steps that you use to protect a home from fire will work with carbon monoxide, the truth of the matter is that if you work it right, you can actually use carbon monoxide as an early warning system for a fire. Here are a few ideas that you can use to get started.

  • Get a detector. One of the best and most traditional methods, for keeping your home free from carbon monoxide is to get a detector. Before you go and get a regular fire detector, you will want to make sure that you are purchasing a detector that will also detect carbon monoxide. While you don't have to get a detector that works for both fire, and carbon monoxide, it is a good idea to do so since it will be easier to maintain one alarm rather than two.
  • Check all sources. There are several items within a home that can generate carbon monoxide, and as such need to be checked and maintained regularly. These items are appliances such as the furnace or boiler, your gas or fuel-oil water heater, a fireplace (both gas and wood), your stove and oven (if it is gas operated), and so on. Basically anything that involves some sort of combustion process (something burning in some way) needs to be checked to ensure it is operating the way that it should.
  • Don't forget your chimney. Just because your fireplace is working correctly doesn't mean that the chimney is. Before you actually operate the fireplace, make sure that the chimney is in good working order and that the flue isn't rusted, streaking, or debris is falling down through the chimney. In fact, it would be a good idea to get your chimney cleaned prior to the start of each season that you use it.
  • Use common sense. The simplest way to keep carbon monoxide from your home is to simply use a bit of common sense. This means that you need to not do some things that, while it may "sound like a good idea" are anything but. For example, do not heat your home using a gas stove, always ensure that you have a properly ventilated range hood on your stove, never use a charcoal grill inside, and never start your car or vehicle in the garage without the exterior door being opened first.

When you start utilizing these ideas, you should have a fairly safe home from both fire and carbon monoxide. That being said, it never hurts to get a professional's opinion. Often times you can contact your local fire department, and have them come out and do a safety inspection. It may cost a little bit of money to do this, but the peace of mind that you get from knowing that your home is certified safe from the fire department is pretty priceless.

Author Bio

Lee Wyatt

Contributor of numerous Tips.Net articles, Lee Wyatt is quickly becoming a regular "Jack of all trades." He is currently an independent contractor specializing in writing and editing. Contact him today for all of your writing and editing needs! Click here to contact. ...

MORE FROM LEE

Caring for Kwanzan Cherry Trees

Have you ever been to Washington, D.C., New York City's Central Park, or even to Japan? If so, then chances are you have seen ...

Discover More

Planting Pear Trees

Planting pear trees is a great method for not only adding a bit of beauty and elegance to your landscape, but also a way to ...

Discover More

Cleaning Your Children's Toys

Have you ever noticed how children's toys, just like children, get dirty over a period of time? Instead of letting that dirt ...

Discover More

Find the Right Tool Right Away Finally, a homeowner's set that includes all the tools needed to complete basic DIY projects at an affordable price! The tools are stored in a molded case for security and portability. Check out Stanley 65-Piece Homeowner's Tool Kit today!

More Home Improvement Tips

Childproofing Your Home

While you can take every precaution to ensure that your home is safe for your children, there is always the chance that an ...

Discover More

Removing Asbestos

Asbestos used to be an extremely popular, though ultimately dangerous home insulating material. Removing asbestos has become ...

Discover More

Keep Your Home Safe from Fire

Keeping your home safe from fire should be a top priority for any homeowner. Whether you have a fireplace, a fire pit ...

Discover More
Subscribe

FREE SERVICE: Receive an e-mail several times each week with a featured home improvement tip. Enter your address and click "Subscribe."

Comments

If you would like to add an image to your comment (not an avatar, but an image to help in making the point of your comment), include the characters [{fig}] in your comment text. You’ll be prompted to upload your image when you submit the comment. Maximum image size is 8Mpixels. Images larger than 600px wide or 1000px tall will be reduced. Up to three images may be included in a comment. All images are subject to review. Commenting privileges may be curtailed if inappropriate images are posted.

What is 0 + 7?

There are currently no comments for this tip. (Be the first to leave your comment—just use the simple form above!)


Subscribe

FREE SERVICE: Receive an e-mail several times each week with a featured home improvement tip. Enter your address and click "Subscribe."

(Your e-mail address is not shared with anyone, ever.)